Monday, February 15, 2016

Kiva

For our big English 112 assignment, we are learning and taking part in online activism. We are doing this through a program called Kiva. If you have not heard of Kiva, it is a program that gives entrepreneur's in underdeveloped countries around the world a chance to fulfill their dreams and provide for their families. Kiva specializes in microfinancing. What is microfinancing, you ask? Well, microfinancing is loans in low increments that are available for people who would otherwise be unavailable for traditional bank loans. A lot of the people that apply for these loans are from very poor areas so would not qualify for big loans. 

What is special about Kiva is they have field partners all over the world that submit loan applicants online and you can loan as low as $25 to these applicants, and truly make a difference in their lives. What is even more great about Kiva is that your $25 is not a donation, it is a loan that, when repaid, will be repaid right back to you. So you can truly make a difference, while at very little risk to you!

I had heard of microfinancing in my Economics class but had not heard of the Kiva program until this English assignment. I think what Kiva is doing is a wonderful thing and I believe they are truly making a difference. You can check out their website at www.kiva.org to get more information, and to read about some of the stories and even pick a candidate for a loan. That's what I get to do for my English class. I haven't picked a candidate yet, because there are so many people that deserve it, but hopefully I will have one picked by my next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment